History of Nippon Lighthouse

Takeo Iwahasi whose liberating mind shines upon the blind of Nippon.
(by Helen Keller)


Nippon Lighthouse made its small start in 1922 when the late Takeo Iwahashi, who had became blind while syuding at university, began the printing of Braille books at home, and then he opend his house to lend out his books to the blind people for free of charge.

Takeo Iwahashi @In 1935, he built the Lighthouse in Abeno-ku, Osaka, and next year held the Opening Ceremony inviting Mrs. Graves Mather, the founder of The Lighthouse in New York.





Nippon Lighthouse at foundedNippon Lighthouse at founded




Helen Keller
He invited Miss Helen Keller in 1937 and 1948, and conducted a nation-wide campaign covering Korea and Manchuria. These movements promoted the enactment of the Law for the Disabled Persons and the Compulsory Education System of the Blind Children.

Then, Japan League of Societies for the Blind and National Council of Social Welfare Institutions for the Blind were organized, and he took office as the first chairman.
Nippon Lighthouse became social welfare juridical person in 1952 because of the enactment of Social Welfare Services Law.


Hideyuki IwahashiTakeo lwahashi died on October 28, 1954, leaving his dreams to publish 'The World Encyclopedia of the Blind' and to hold the Asian Conference on Work for the Blind unfinished, which were succeeded by Hideyuki lwahashi.

The new building was completed in 1960 at the present site and the first Vocational & Rehabilitation Center in Japan was set up in 1965.
The Guide Dog Training center was set up in 1970.
The new building of the library section was built in the downtown Osaka and started the enlarged activities as the Information & Culture Center for the Blind.
The land was donated by benevolent person for these purposes respectively and a large grant came from the Japan Ship-building Foundation and the Cycling Promotion Association for this project.


Deliver in Braiile books on 1963



Deliver in Braiile books on 1963




Nippon Lighthouse, 1960 Nippon Lighthouse Moved in Tsurumi-Ku,1960




The second Chief Director Hideyuki lwahashi died in January, 1984 and Akiko lwahashi took over the overall responsibility including the cooperation to the Association for Ophthalmic Cooperation to Asia(AOCA) and the National Committee for the Welfare of the Blind in Japan (NCWB).

The Braille Printing House and the Rehabilitation Center were refurbished in 1990 and 1992 respectively, and given the new names as 'Technical Center of the Tactual Information' and 'Rehabilitation Center of Visual Impairment'.


Akiko Iwahashi@The second Chief Director Hideyuki lwahashi died in January, 1984, and Akiko lwahashi took over the overall responsibility including the cooperation to the Association for Ophthalmic Cooperation to Asia(AOCA) and the National Committee for the Welfare of the Blind in Japan (NCWB).

@The Braille Printing House and the Rehabilitation Center were refurbished in 1990 and 1992 respectively, and given the new names as 'Technical Center of the Tactual Information' and 'Rehabilitation Center of Visual Impairment'.
Takeo Iwahashi
Back to top page